Okay, I know every year we make resolutions only to break them or not live up to them, but these are pretty easy and will help you get better acquainted or reacquainted with your own back yard.
- Get in shape! This is South Florida, where the heat, beach, water activities and year-round outdoor lifestyle make this easy to do. Gables Fitness has bootcamps, which take place in the beautiful outdoors, in Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Key Biscayne and Bayfront Park. They also have personal training classes for men and women. I started about a month and a half ago at the Pinecrest location and am having a great time while I am getting in shape.
- Visit one of our museums. Many of the Miami museums have free events. The Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science will take more than one visit to explore. It has over 200 exhibits plus an IMAX theater. The Museum of Art in Fort Lauderdale is currently exhibiting the works of Norman Rockwell (through February 7, 2010)
- Go on one of the art walks. In Miami: Calle Ocho, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Design District, Miami Beach, Wynwood all have art walks on different days of the week. Broward County has a twice yearly walk.
- Take a historical tour with Paul George.
- Volunteer at one of the many one-day volunteer activities such as Hands-On-Miami, Habitat For Humanity, Biscayne Bay Cleanup (Baynanza).
- Attend a performance at one of our many venues.
- Go to the horse races.
- Visit the Miami-Metro Zoo, Lion Country Safari, Butterfly Garden.
- Take a bike ride in the Everglades and/or Oleta State Park and/or Markham Park.
- Go to one of our local Farmer’s Markets, which are open through April, to purchase fresh local produce.
- Tour the Redland.
- Take a canoe or kayak ride. Most of the State Parks have hourly rentals and tours.
- Go to a full moon outdoor concert.
- If you are remodeling or landscaping, include energy efficient and sustainable products and go native with your landscaping.
If you have completed any of these resolutions recently (2009), please add your comments and feedback on this post. Do you have a resolution you would like to add to the list?